Since starting Muklet back in June 2015 I've been fortunate to meet some talented Parents who have also escaped the 9-5 to set up Small Businesses. One of those talented people is Dorothy from Fig & Bloom. We met early on in my Muklet adventures at Mother Pukka & Matt Riley's Great British Fake Off in Soho, London. With Dorothy being an ex-Californian, and my plans to re-locate to those sunnier shores we soon hit it off, and have been firm pals ever since!
We recently re-united when Dorothy came over to visit, and I took the opportunity to pick her brains about how Fig & Bloom could advise this knackered Momma how to power up on healthy stuff for the school run (& beyond!). Fig & Bloom have kindly come up with a series of recipes to that'll do just that, which we'll be sharing over the coming weeks.
LAURA: Hi Dorothy! First off, can you tell our friends a bit more about Fig & Bloom?
DOT: Fig and Bloom is a science-based nutritional food consultancy based in beautiful North London. We are 3 mums who met on the school run and now are on a mission to make science-based nutrition come alive in your kitchen. No faddy foods or faux information here! We run workshops, Skype food diary reviews to reset your nutrition and health goals, corporate consultancy, and upcoming meal plans.
LAURA: Now, I gotta confess, this Momma is a bit knackered…like, most of the time! I am striving to be healthier, but occasionally I may lapse into an emergency donut after the school run! Can you recommend something yummy, nutritious and filling I can grab on the go for the school run?
DOT: We chose this socca wrap as first it is a personal favorite and also because Stephanie thinks it is a great way to keep energy levels steady across the day because of its veggie, fibre, protein and whole-carb ingredients.
When I am running out of ideas and energy this one always saves the day! My six year old Henry just adores it and it can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner & snacks. I often will keep the mix without the egg in the refrigerator and just pop the egg in the jar when ready.
Green Socca Crepes
2 handfuls of spinach
Veggies to fill - e.g. carrots, avocado, cucumber etc.
1/2 cup chickpea flour
1/2 cup water
1 garlic clove - optional
Sea salt, to taste
2 tbsp olive oil (1 for the crepe mixture +1 tbsp to coat pan before cooking the crepe)
Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
1 tbsp raw pumpkin seeds
1 tsp tamari
1 tsp rice vinegar
· Wash your spinach and dry
· Cut up your veggies, here they are carrots but could be cucumber, avocado or anything else you like
· Toast your pumpkin seeds: Pour the raw pumpkin seeds in to a pan, heat up the pan until they start to brown & ‘pop’ add a splash of tamari (soy sauce) and a splash of rice wine vinegar. Mix quickly together and remove from heat. I often do a big batch and keep in an air tight jar for sprinkling on salads and just as a quick snack, if you want to make more double the quantities
· Add the spinach, flour, water, eggs, garlic and salt to the blender
· Blend until smooth
· Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan and swirl around until it evenly coats the pan
· Wait until hot about 1 minute
· Pour mixture in and swirl about until it makes a round crepe
· Lower heat to medium and cook until edges start to brown, lift up the edges and make sure they sure browning before you flip the crepe. About 3 to 4 minutes
· Flip and cook a further 2 minutes or until nice and golden on the bottom
· Transfer to a cutting board, let cool slightly and fill with your goodies! I love hummous and crunchy veggies but have also filled it with sautéed veggies ( mushroom/ broccoli), more eggs, cheese, chicken strips….
LAURA: Thanks Dot, my mouth is watering, can't wait to taste it!
We've got more great recipes to come from our pals at Fig & Bloom. Meanwhile you can find them on the below links for more delicious and nutritious ideas:
They also have a new service which offers a Skype food diary & nutrition review to give you a Spring reset helping you make realistic yet effective changes to your diet.
They are also offering Muklet friends a special discount code, just mention Muklet!
Momma Muklet x